3.25.2008

light as a feather when it's all said and done

i talked w/ the district manager of the bookstore chain i work for out in PDX yesterday and there are a couple of positions open that i might be able to step into. more accurately, same position, two different stores. they are a new the company has made for stores that have high volume cafés, and that would be right up my alley. so it looks like the chances are good i may have viable employment when i go....this is a HUGE load off my mind. i was beginning to get a bit anxious about not having a definite plan. if i did get one of these positions, it would probably move my leaving date up to next month.

after the conversation about the job went well, i began packing in earnest. my books are done, i've ripped about 300 CDs and put them in boxes (i'm planning on selling off most of what i own before leaving, music included). i attempted to clean my oven by a "proven" green method, which didn't work out at all. i tried to read some of the Omnivore's Dilemma, but w/ so much to do, i feel guilty spending too much time reading.

the next thing i want to do is sell some of my knickknacks. for a few months i've had this driving feeling to get rid of a lot of things i don't need. i feel physically weighed down by all this stuff. i really am beginning to understand the idea of how the things you own end up owning you. i don't like it and don't want it anymore. i'm trying not to spend money on music (gasp!) and will be ripping all my CDs to a hard drive and then selling them. i'll be selling most of my furniture too... it's just cheaper to sell it and re-buy what i need out there rather than moving it. Uhaul wants $1300 just to rent a truck and dolly for my car. fascists.

No comments: